What’s In Your Car?
Create Your Own Roadside Emergency Kit
- Spare tire, properly inflated – check every 6 months!
- Car jack and lug wrench – fits your car and you know how to work it!
- Preprogram your cell phone with 800 number for auto club roadside service
- Call CHP or local law enforcement for assistance to get you off the highway to safety
- 12-foot jumper cables
- Four 15-minute roadside flares
- Emergency Red Reflector Triangle
- First aid kit
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Tire pressure gauge
- Roll of duct tape
- A HELP sign, at least 8 inches
- Energy bars (change yearly)
- Bottled water (change yearly)
- Extra vehicle fuses
- Small tool kit
- Heavy duty nylon bag to keep the small items together
- Nylon rope, at least 12 feet
- Plastic tarp
- Tire inflator (such as a Fix-A-Flat)
- A quart of motor oil
- Spray bottle with washer fluid
- Ice scraper
- Paper Towels
- Pen and paper
- Bungee cord - 12"
- Rain poncho
- Cable ties
- Work gloves
- Small fire extinguisher (ABC rated)
Prepared by the California Office of Traffic Safety