Report drunk drivers
Public Information – Spotting & Reporting Drunk Drivers Tip Sheet
How to Report a Drunk Driver
- Call 911 and tell them you wish to report a drunk driver.
- Give the exact location of the vehicle, including the name of the road or cross streets and the direction the vehicle is traveling.
- Give a complete description of the vehicle, such as make, model, color and license plate.
- Describe the manner in which the vehicle is being driven.
How to Spot a Drunk Driver
The following signs can help you detect an impaired driver on the road:
- Turning with a wide radius
- Straddling the center of the road or lane marker
- Appearing to be drunk (i.e., eye fixation, face close to windshield, drinking in the vehicle)
- Almost striking an object or another vehicle
- Weaving or zigzagging across the road
- Driving on surfaces other than a designated roadway
- Swerving or abruptly turning away from a generally straight course
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Driving slower than 10 mph below the speed limit
- Stopping without cause in a traffic lane
- Stopping inappropriately
- Following others too closely
- Drifting or moving in a straight line
- Erratic braking
- Driving into opposing or crossing traffic
- Signaling that is inconsistent with driving actions
- Slow response to traffic signals, including sudden stops and delayed starts
- Driving with headlights off
‘How to Spot a Drunk Driver’ clues courtesy of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration